How not to be skint! (Bristol)
A basic guide to cash flow for freelancers - open to members of FEU unions - MU, Equity, Writers' Guild and NUJ
From 11:00 until 16:00
At Bristol (venue TBC)
Federation of Entertainment Unions
Income can vary from month to month when you’re a creative freelance. So, in this workshop, we’ll show you how you can plan to have enough cash all year round and avoid the panic of running out of money at any given time.
This workshop will help you dig out your crystal ball and plan your finances for the next 12 months. We’ll look at how to predict likely incomings and outgoings, and how to spot problems before they catch you by surprise.
We’ll work through some typical scenarios relevant to your creative work and include plenty of examples to help you get used to taking control of your financial future.
You don’t have to be a whizz at maths or spreadsheets as we’ll aim to make sure that it’s easy to understand. We’ll also provide you with a useful toolkit to use after the workshop to help make managing your cash flow straightforward. The workshop includes:
- An introduction to monthly budgeting for personal and business spending
- Using estimates to set work patterns
- How to make sound business decisions based on financial information
- Risk planning
- Cash flow planning.
Who should attend?
Any freelance who wants to improve their financial and cash flow planning and management and is daunted by financial unknowns.
Note: We’ll be using spreadsheets to illustrate examples but you won’t need to use spreadsheets during the workshop. You will find a calculator useful. The one on your phone will do!
By the end of this workshop you should be able to:
- understand how to guestimate monthly budgets
- use cash flow planning to avoid problems before they happen
- use financial estimates to help make better business decisions
- use spreadsheet templates (provided) to plan your own freelance life
Posted on 03 September 2019