Beyond Redundancy: Setting up as a Sole Trader (ScreenSkills)
For staff creatives going through redundancy and wanting to set up as self-employed for the first time. This interactive course runs across two consecutive days using Zoom.
From 09:30 until 12pm
Training provider: David Thomas Media Ltd for ScreenSkills/ITF
[NB - please only book if you're free on both mornings.]
Who's it aimed at?
If you've been employed, are going through redundancy and want to set up as self-employed, this is the course you can't afford to miss.
It's particularly aimed at anyone who feels like running for the hills when they hear the words 'tax return'.
No previous knowledge of self-employment is necessary.
What's the focus?
Setting up on your own is daunting when you've not done it before. So we go through ways to organise yourself, how to get to grips with the big changes coming up in taxation, and plenty of short cuts so that you can hit the ground running.
Areas covered include:
- why self-employment is different from employment
- why a sole trader is different from a limited company
- separating out your personal and business finances
- what is tax and national insurance
- paperwork you need to keep (and how to keep it without going mad)
- getting ready for Making Tax Digital: digital record keeping and the new 'cloud accounting'
- how not to run out of cash
- understanding your market
- motivating yourself
- how not to work too hard
What resources will I get?
You'll get templates and downloads aplenty so that you're not wasting your time and can focus on being great at the fun stuff.
Everything's online for you to access at any point, and you get free email and phone support after the course.
Who's the trainer?
David Thomas has been running his famous 'setting up as a sole trader' courses for redundant staff since 2005. Clients include the BBC, ITV and indies. David understands what you're going through. He set up his own small business after 22 years of employment at the BBC. It can be done!
Posted on 06 August 2021