Survive and Thrive as a Freelancer (Cardiff)
How to enjoy freelancing by keeping on top of finances, time management and networking.
From 10:00 until 16:00
At Cardiff Metropolitan University, Cyncoed Campus
Organised by NUJ Training Wales and Cardiff Metropolitan University
In a rapidly changing media environment there is no longer a guarantee of 'a job' in the industry. And a job isn't what everyone wants - some might prefer what a freelance life can offer.
This workshop will give you an insight into an alternative model of working - whether you're new to the industry or looking to go freelance.
Who is the workshop aimed at?
The participants will be mainly new to freelancing in the creative industries, particularly journalism.
No freelance experience will be necessary but the workshop will be a useful refresher for more experienced freelancers (including journalists who offer PR/Comms as part of their freelance portfolio).
The day will:
• Help delegates gain an insight into the practicalities of a freelance lifestyle
• Provide tips and tools for better financial planning and effective networking
• Encourage students and working professionals to share their experiences and concerns
This session will look at:
• Finance skills for freelancers - how to budget; splitting professional life from personal life
• Different types of freelance payments - PAYE, Sole Trader, Limited Company
• Tax and NI for freelancers
• Keeping records without wasting time - and the implications of HMRC’s new digital taxation
• How to agree work
• How to chase payments
• How to plan your networking
What you will learn:
Delegates will come away with a clearer idea of how to organise themselves and plan to think like a business. They will understand the importance of good record keeping, and tax and NI implications. They will also have a better understanding of how networking works in the creative industries.
How to book:
Click to book your place via NUJ Training Wales
Posted on 14 February 2020